Saturday, November 12, 2016

Becoming Rowan

I loved the story I read this week called A Message to Garcia.  It is an ancient story of a man named Rowan during America's war against Spain.  An important message needed to get delivered to a leader, Garcia. Rowan was the man for the job.  He was handed the letter, asked no questions, needed no help, and set off to accomplish the task at hand.  Why are men such as Rowan so difficult to find in this day and age?  Am I a Rowan?  Will I deliver it?  Or will I ask a million questions and need to understand "why" and "how".  We have all worked with someone who is given a task;  they accomplish the task with little to no questions or help.  They do a great job because that is just who they are.  Sometimes I feel like I can be a Rowan.  If I am excited about a task and knowledgeable on the subject, then I am one to do the task well, on time, and with little micro-managing needed.  However, if it is something that I am not interested in (like cleaning the bathrooms) I need a lot of encouragement and constant reminders and micro-managing.  How do we find Rowans to work with?  How do we become a Rowan in all tasks that we encounter?  I think it is an inner gift that we are blessed with but I do think we can train ourselves to become a Rowan.  We can work on our self-reliance, dependability, self-motivation, priorities, goal setting, and time management.  We can be a do-er. When given a task to complete, we are one of action.  People know we are responsible and someone who takes pride in their work.  I want to become a Rowan in ALL tasks I encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment